Friday, June 21, 2013

Words are not Enough

Yesterday I sat beside you on your bed
Knowing it might be my last time to say
I love you.


I manage those words but nothing more.
Why is it so hard to speak my heart
to this man I love?

Memories flood my mind as I sit,
wishing I had the right words.

How does one voice appreciation to a man
who sacrificed everything
for those he loves?

A man who worked tirelessly
to take care of those entrusted to him...

A man who spoke truth,
even when it was sure
to cause division...


I celebrate you, Dad,
for your laughter,
your kind words,
The strength you showed outwardly,
even if unsure inside.

I celebrate you for your model
of sacrifice and commitment.

True love in its purest form.

3 comments:

  1. Shelley,
    This is heartwrenching and beautiful all at the same time. I'm praying for peace and strength for you, my friend.
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second stanza is especially stunning. It is brave of you to write so close to the bone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christy and Ruth! I'm so glad I have the privilege of knowing you both!

    ReplyDelete